Saturday, August 22, 2009

Scrapbooking/Crafting Day!!!!

I just posted one of Julia Child's famous recipes to get you inspired over the weekend (those of you who will be home and can cook all day)...I can't tackle this one today, but do intend to make it when the snow flies and I'll let you know how it turns out. I am getting ready to make Gracie's Biscuits to take to my bi-monthly scrapbook and crafting day with my homegirls! :)

Gracie's real name is Nancy Wright and I had the pleasure of going to church with her, her husband John and daughter Stacey years ago at HPC. The church motto was "Love Grows Here" and it certainly did! Gracie and Bud (John) were elders in the church and had raised animals and horses on their farm their whole life. They were definately hard workers. Stacey and I shared a love for vintage things and she even had decorated her bathroom with really cool vintage clothing, etc...and the effect was spectacular (wish I would have thought back then to take a picture of it)...anywho, I was trusted enough as part of her adopted family to have her secret Buttermilk Biscuit recipe. And while I can't share the recipe because she asked me not to give it to anyone, I will post a picture later of how they look when they come out of the oven.

They smell soooo good baking and they are so light and fluffy (probably the combination of buttermilk and baking powder)...and I think of and remember fondly the fun times that we shared in Gracie's kitchen, as she taught me so many things in that farm house. I love them dearly and we run into each other every so often...but writing this post, I realize that I need to keep in touch with them better before they are no longer here...because as Gracie used to say "I ain't no spring chicken!"

So I dedicate these biscuits to you Gracie!...thanks for the memories! :)

**UPDATE:The recipe was such a secret that I couldn't find it and had to make biscuits with a different recipe. Everyone liked them, but I thought they sucked. I later found Gracie's recipe and will be making these in a few weeks the next time we meet...will post a pic then!

No comments: